- Vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, light and green parts separated (you’ll need 2-3 scallions)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 lb bag riced cauliflower (you can find this at Trader Joe’s or make your own in your food processor with half of a 2 lb head cauliflower
- 2-3 tablespoons liquid aminos divided (soy sauce can be substituted)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/8 cup chopped cashews
- Cooked Shrimp or Chicken (optional)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the egg and a pinch of salt and scramble until the egg is cooked. Set aside. Wipe the pan clean.
- Add 4 teaspoons of vegetable oil to the pan and set over medium heat.
- Add the light scallions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the grated cauliflower, 2 tablespoons of the liquid aminos, red pepper flakes, sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the peas and carrots and continue cooking until the cauliflower “rice” is tender-crisp and the vegetables are warmed through, a few minutes.
- Stir in the rice vinegar, sesame oil, dark green scallions, cashews, and egg.
- Stir in the cooked chicken or shrimp if using.
- Taste and adjust seasoning (adding the remaining tablespoon of liquid aminos if necessary). Serve hot.